Monday, September 19, 2011

Megan's Story

On Friday of last week, I needed to get a few grocery items and stopped in at our local Metro supermarket.  This supermarket is a typical suburban food store.  This is not a superstore or big box, but a standard food market with a great deli, in-house bakery and a great selection of produce.  It serves a local community of about 45,000 people in a community that is typically a blue collar type of crowd.

I checked out with my debit card and asked for some cash back.  I left the store and about a half hour later when looking to complete another purchase discovered I had no cash.

When I got home, I looked at the receipt from the Metro store.  I had not signed for any cash back - so probably the cashier and I had both missed it.  (An over 50 moment for me!)  I called the telephone number on the receipt and within two rings I heard;  "Hello Metro, Meagan speaking."  Wow, a real person answers the telephone without going through a prompt system.  I explained the situation and Megan said, no problem that when the reconciliation was done in the evening they could give me a call back.  I thought that would be ok, and then said I had the time and the transaction code on the receipt.  "Oh," said Megan, " I can look that up on our computer, just a moment."  In literally a few seconds, she had identified my purchase and told me what I had bought.  "The cashier is right beside me," she said, " if you don't mind waiting a few moments we can do a quick cash check."  In less than a minute she was back on the line with the news that the cash was over by exactly the amount I had requested.  We arranged for me to pick up the money the next morning.

Early Saturday morning I went in to get my money and met Megan face to face.  I was so impressed with the service - I wanted to know the source of the Excellence Agenda.  I wanted to know what had triggered her response to help me.  She said it was when I told her that I had not signed for the money and could give her the time and transaction code that she realized I was telling her the truth.  From that it was just a question of checking the computer.  But it was much more than that.

There are not one, but two Excellence Agendas here. It seems, this Metro store has an Excellence Agenda based on competing not just on prices and product selection, but also on exceptional and personal customer service.

Megan has her own Excellence Agenda.  Megan is in her mid-20`s and has worked at the store for more than 10 years - it`s the only job she has had.  She has a degree in Psychology and has an honest interest in making people happy.  She gets her people approach from her parents and upbringing and it is supported by the `family atmosphere`of the staff.  This store has a staff of over 100 - some family!

The fact that Megan has worked in the store for 10 years and really enjoys her job, tells me that she is not only working in a Community of Excellence, but that management has created a Culture of Excellence.

Megan explained that the computer used to be on the second floor and when there were customer enquires at the customer service station, someone would have to go upstairs.  So what did management do?  They installed a terminal beside the telephone so that she can look up information while she is on the telephone.   In other words, the corporate Excellence Agenda is supported by IM/IT systems that give the staff the ability to respond to enquiries in real time.  Megan is also given the freedom to make customer satisfaction decisions without having to go to senior management all of the time.  There is a belief that the customer is, for the most part, honest and trustful.  That creates a culture of trust within the store to serve with authenticity and credibility.

Congratulations to the Management and Staff of Metro store 257.  You are a wonderful example of An Excellence Agenda and the power of Communities of Excellence.

By the way, after talking with Megan, I went in to buy BBQ supplies and spent virtually all of the cash back.  An Agenda of Excellence pays rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are reviewed prior to posting - this will be done shortly.